This dictionary skills BOOM CARDS ™ task cards and posters product is a fun way for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders to practice using the functional parts of a dictionary and the skills needed to use a dictionary.
Each dictionary skill is described during the lesson and/or during card play and includes:
- guide words
- phonetic spelling
- parts of speech
Every component of dictionary skills and dictionary use are included in this product.
This dictionary skills boom cards deck includes:
37 task cards (7 dictionary skill instructional cards and 30 dictionary skills practice task cards)
- Task cards 1-7 help teach your students how to use each part of the dictionary and includes guide words, phonetic spelling, parts of speech, syllabication, and definitions.
- Task cards 8-31 are drag and drop questions where your students will drag and drop the word onto the dictionary that would appear on the page spread with specific guide words.
- Task cards 32-37 are fill in the blank questions where your students will type various responses about a word that they look up in the dictionary. They are asked for the syllabication, number of definitions, and parts of speech.
This resource is completely digital. As students answer each question, they will receive immediate feedback. This helps students practice independent learning while strengthening skills.
What are the benefits of using BOOM Cards?
- Assign different students different BOOM decks for easy differentiation
- BOOM CARDS™ give immediate feedback and are self-correcting, saving you grading time
- BOOM CARDS™ require no preparation, which means no printing, laminating, or storage
- Hold students accountable for independent work
- Provide paperless practice that is perfect for remote learning
What do you need in order to use BOOM Cards?
- A computer, tablet or interactive whiteboard
- An internet browser OR the free BOOM app
- An internet connection
- A free or paid BOOM account
How do you assign the BOOM Cards to students?
- Login to Boom Learning or create a new account. You only need a free account! However, if you choose to upgrade, there are several options for assigning this resource!
- If using the FREE version of BOOM Learning, once you’re logged into your Boom teacher account, go to “Library,” find the deck you want students to use, click on “FastPin” and select “Generate New Pin.”
Option #1: Copy and paste the complete link for students to play, or…
Option #2: Go to the Boom main page (boomlearning.com) on a computer (or on the Boom app). Prompt students to click on the “FastPlay” button. Enter the pin and click “play.”
- If using a PAID version of BOOM Learning, you can do the following:
Get reports about student progress and activity
Easily assign students multiple decks to work on
Create an entire classroom of student logins
To use Boom Cards, you must be connected to the Internet. Boom Cards play on modern browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge). Apps are available for modern Android, iPads, iPhones, and Kindle Fires. For security and privacy, adults must have a Boom Learning account to use and assign Boom Cards.
You will be able to assign the Boom Cards you are buying with “Fast Pins,” (a form of play that gives instant feedback to students for self-grading Boom Cards). For assignment options that report student progress back to you, you will need to purchase a membership. If you are new to Boom Learning, you will be offered a free trial of our Essential membership. Read here for details: http://bit.ly/BoomTrial.
This file includes 30 digital task cards + 7 instructional cards