This multiple meaning words BOOM CARDS ™ task cards activity was created for 3rd, 4th, and 5th-grade students.
This multiple meaning words activity is perfect for students learning about homonyms and their meanings. This activity contains homonyms anchor charts and task cards. It is common core aligned for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade.
These cards help students pick which definition goes best with the way a word is used in a specific sentence. Students are also given a dictionary definition with multiple meanings and must figure out which one is the correct definition for use in a specific sentence.
This multiple meaning words deck includes:
31 task cards (7 anchor charts cards with the difference between homonyms, homographs, and homophones and 24 multiple meaning word task cards).
- Task cards 1-7 are instructional cards with examples of homonyms, homographs, and homophones. They help explain the difference of the three to your students.
- Task cards 8-19 are multiple choice questions where your students are given a definition of a word with multiple meanings. They pick the sentence that matches the definition of the word.
- Task Cards 20-31 are multiple choice questions where your students are given a sentence and they pick the correct definition for how that word is used in the sentence.
This resource is completely digital. As students answer each question, they will receive immediate feedback. This helps students practice independent learning while strengthening skills.
What are the benefits of using BOOM Cards?
- Assign different students different BOOM decks for easy differentiation
- BOOM CARDS™ give immediate feedback and are self-correcting, saving you grading time
- BOOM CARDS™ require no preparation, which means no printing, laminating, or storage
- Hold students accountable for independent work
- Provide paperless practice that is perfect for remote learning
What do you need in order to use BOOM Cards?
- A computer, tablet or interactive whiteboard
- An internet browser OR the free BOOM app
- An internet connection
- A free or paid BOOM account
How do you assign the BOOM Cards to students?
- Login to Boom Learning or create a new account. You only need a free account! However, if you choose to upgrade, there are several options for assigning this resource!
- If using the FREE version of BOOM Learning, once you’re logged into your Boom teacher account, go to “Library,” find the deck you want students to use, click on “FastPin” and select “Generate New Pin.”
Option #1: Copy and paste the complete link for students to play, or…
Option #2: Go to the Boom main page (boomlearning.com) on a computer (or on the Boom app). Prompt students to click on the “FastPlay” button. Enter the pin and click “play.”
- If using a PAID version of BOOM Learning, you can do the following:
Get reports about student progress and activity
Easily assign students multiple decks to work on
Create an entire classroom of student logins
To use Boom Cards, you must be connected to the Internet. Boom Cards play on modern browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge). Apps are available for modern Android, iPads, iPhones, and Kindle Fires. For security and privacy, adults must have a Boom Learning account to use and assign Boom Cards.
You will be able to assign the Boom Cards you are buying with “Fast Pins,” (a form of play that gives instant feedback to students for self-grading Boom Cards). For assignment options that report student progress back to you, you will need to purchase a membership. If you are new to Boom Learning, you will be offered a free trial of our Essential membership. Read here for details: http://bit.ly/BoomTrial.
This file includes 12 digital task cards with 3 sentences per slide+ 6 instructional cards