This simile and metaphor BOOM CARDS ™ activity pack was created for 3rd-6th grade. The instructional pages and task cards will help your students understand the difference between similes and metaphors.
This simile and metaphor boom cards deck includes:
44 task cards (8 similes and metaphor instructional pages and 36 simile and metaphor task cards with a variety of questions).
The tasks for each card type are as follows:
- The first 8 instructional pages include the definitions of similes and metaphors and how to determine the difference. It also includes a list of many common similes and metaphors.
- Task cards 9-20 are multiple-choice answers that have your students find similes and metaphors from a list of choices.
- Task cards 21- 32 are multiple-choice answers, where your students will choose whether a statement is a metaphor, simile or neither.
- Task cards 33- 44 are multiple-choice as well, but they have your students pick a choice that best describes the meaning of each simile.
This resource is completely digital. As students answer each question, they will receive immediate feedback. This helps students practice independent learning while strengthening skills.
What are the benefits of using BOOM Cards?
- Assign different students different BOOM decks for easy differentiation
- BOOM CARDS™ give immediate feedback and are self-correcting, saving you grading time
- BOOM CARDS™ require no preparation, which means no printing, laminating, or storage
- Hold students accountable for independent work
- Provide paperless practice that is perfect for remote learning
What do you need in order to use BOOM Cards?
- A computer, tablet or interactive whiteboard
- An internet browser OR the free BOOM app
- An internet connection
- A free or paid BOOM account
How do you assign the BOOM Cards to students?
- Login to Boom Learning or create a new account. You only need a free account! However, if you choose to upgrade, there are several options for assigning this resource!
- If using the FREE version of BOOM Learning, once you’re logged into your Boom teacher account, go to “Library,” find the deck you want students to use, click on “FastPin” and select “Generate New Pin.”
Option #1: Copy and paste the complete link for students to play, or…
Option #2: Go to the Boom main page (boomlearning.com) on a computer (or on the Boom app). Prompt students to click on the “FastPlay” button. Enter the pin and click “play.”
- If using a PAID version of BOOM Learning, you can do the following:
Get reports about student progress and activity
Easily assign students multiple decks to work on
Create an entire classroom of student logins
To use Boom Cards, you must be connected to the Internet. Boom Cards play on modern browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge). Apps are available for modern Android, iPads, iPhones, and Kindle Fires. For security and privacy, adults must have a Boom Learning account to use and assign Boom Cards.
You will be able to assign the Boom Cards you are buying with “Fast Pins,” (a form of play that gives instant feedback to students for self-grading Boom Cards). For assignment options that report student progress back to you, you will need to purchase a membership. If you are new to Boom Learning, you will be offered a free trial of our Essential membership. Read here for details: http://bit.ly/BoomTrial.
This file includes 36 digital task cards + 8 instructional slides