28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World Activity
This Black History project is based on a book called 28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World, by Charles R. Smith Jr. and is designed as a newspaper article activity for your students.
This activity requires NO PREPERATION and is ready to use when you click print. It is best to have a copy of 28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World by Charles R. Smith Jr. This project is most appropriate for 2nd-6th grade students.
This literature unit is designed so that students are each assigned one newspaper article (each template has the name of a person in the book). There is a parent letter included in case you choose to assign it as homework.
Note: There are six extra templates that DO NOT have a name or date printed on them, just in case you’d like to add your own historical figure. An optional backside for each newspaper style is also included.
This Black History Literature activity product includes the following:
- Teacher Tips/Ideas page
- Letter to parents if you choose to use this as a home research project (students do NOT need to have a copy of the book at home, but should have access to a computer or other way to research their important person)
- KWL chart for Black History (use this before students begin working on their newspaper articles)
- Table of Contents (for the 28 moments mentioned in the book)
- COVER for a classroom book (if you choose to compile all the articles at the end of the project)
- 28 templates for newspaper articles (NOTE: Each template DOES include the name and date of a significant person mentioned in the book.)
- 6 ADDITIONAL templates that DO NOT include any names or dates (use these in the event that you want to add events and/or people that are significant in Black History)
This PDF file contains 54 pages + Google Slides™.