Malala Yousafzai Biography Lesson: Nonfiction Close Reading Unit
This nonfiction text biography unit featuring Malala Yousafzai includes the following:
- Annotation symbols for close reading (color and black-and-white)
- Nonfiction reading passage (4 pages about Malala Yousafzai)
- Sample annotations for the reading passage (all 4 pages)
- Text-dependent questions with an answer key
- Reflection questions
- Character traits printable
- Writing prompts
- Growth mindset connections
- Graphic organizers
- Quotes posters (6 posters in color and black-and-white)
Other activities include writing a friendly letter and creating a newspaper article. In addition, this product can be used with ANY picture book or chapter book about Malala Yousafzai.
Some of my favorite books to use with this Malala Unit include:
- For the Right to Learn: Malala Yousafzai’s Story by Rebecca Langston-George
- Malala: Activist for Girls’ Education by Raphaële Frier
- Malala Yousafzai: Warrior with Words by Karen Leggett Abouraya
- Who is Malala Yousafzai? by Dinah Brown
- Dear Malala, We Stand with You by Rosemary McCarney
Though the intended grade levels are 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade, this product can be modified and used with other grade levels. The nonfiction reading passage is appropriate for 3rd-5th grade, so please understand that 2nd grade might struggle with the text if they are asked to read it independently. Likewise, a 6th grader may find that text to be easy.
This PDF file contains 47 pages + Google Slides™.