Figurative Language Sorting Activity on Sticky Notes:
This figurative language activity includes hyperboles, metaphors, similes, puns, proverbs/adages, idioms, onomatopoeia, personification, and alliteration.
There are over 200 figures of speech designed to be printed on sticky notes. Created for 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, this activity is perfect for individuals, pairs, small groups, or the whole class.
- There are full-color cards and category toppers for students new to figures of speech (or for ESL students). Each figure of speech is color-coded (all idioms are green, for example).
- The black and white sticky notes and category toppers are designed for students who are familiar with figures of speech but need practice.
The answer sheets are also differentiated.
You can choose to:
- Allow students to do the activity without an answer sheet
- Use the answer sheet that requires students to write the number of each figure of speech next to the correct category
- Use the answer sheet that also requires students to provide evidence for their choice
Ideas for Use:
- As a test review
- As a game- groups work to complete the activity first (with the highest accuracy)
- As an introduction for each figure of speech (the color-coded set)
- As an evaluation
- During stations on a bulletin board or whiteboard
- As a catalyst for a class discussion on figures of speech
- As a review at the beginning of the year for students who have been exposed to figurative language
NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE YOUR OWN 3″x3″ STICKY NOTES!
NOTE: THIS FILE NOW INCLUDES A DIGITAL DISTANCE LEARNING OPTION!
The instructions for utilizing the digital portion appear at the end of the packet.
This file includes 106 PDF pages + Google Slides™.