Figurative Language Sorting Activity:
This figurative language activity includes hyperboles, metaphors, similes, puns, proverbs/adages, idioms, onomatopoeia, personification, and alliteration. There are over 200 figures of speech, that can be categorized in each area. Created for 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, this activity is perfect for individuals, pairs, small groups, or the whole class.
– There are full color cards and category toppers for students who are new to figures of speech (or for ESL students who are learning the language). Each figure of speech is color coded (all idioms are green, for example).
– The black and white cards and category toppers are designed for students who are familiar with figures of speech, but need practice.
– The answer sheets are also differentiated. You can choose to:
– allow students to do the activity without an answer sheet
– use the answer sheet that simply requires students to write the number of each figure of speech next to the correct category
– use the answer sheet that also requires students to provide evidence for their choice
IDEAS FOR USE:
– Use as a test review
– Use as a game- groups work to complete the activity first (with the highest accuracy)
– Use as an introduction for each figure of speech (the color coded set)
– Use as an evaluation
– Use during stations on a bulletin board or white board
– Use as a catalyst for a class discussion on figures of speech
– Use as a review at the beginning of the year for students who have been exposed to figurative language
This file contains 97 pages.
- Purchasing this product gives the purchaser ONE LICENSE to this product. This allows the purchaser the right to reproduce this product for HIS/HER class ONLY. Duplication for an entire team, school, or school district is strictly forbidden. If other teachers would like copies of this product, please direct them to my store.
- You may not reproduce, redistribute, or post this item on a blog or website for download (free or paid). Copying any part of this product (even for a classroom website) is also in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- You may not modify, copy, or alter this product in any way.
- Please feel free to spread the word about this product via social media or blog post. A link to the product (or my store) is much appreciated.